Friday, August 27, 2010

Back on the Air

Thank goodness for Jess, is all I can say. She has been reading and writing like a house on fire...all summer! And the truth is, I don't even have anything to say today. Much like in my other blog, I have developed a nasty case of writer's block. I have read many books this summer and written about none of them; the thought of sitting down to relive them in some book reviews feels like an insurmountable task. I don't know if I will do it at all or if I will start fresh. In the meantime, I need to write something so I can get over my pesky affliction and just start writing.

Instead of a review today, I will leave you with this, my summer reading list. Even though the tutors at The Kildonan School make individualized book lists for our students, I like to have a list on hand...it can help guide the tutors, it is ready to go if a student (or parent) loses the list we sent home, and it helps me narrow down the selections I will purchase for the school. Maybe, you'll it useful as we all go back to school. I know I will refer to it when I set out to pick reading books for my students. Forgive me...I hope I'll be back soon!


Students with Reading Skills 5th Grade and Below:

The 39 Clues Series (various authors; various reading levels)
Colfer, Eoin - Half-Moon Investigations (GE=3.3)
Creech, Sharon - The Unfinished Angel (and others by this author)
DiCamillo, Kate - The Magician’s Elephant (GE=5.0)
Fitzpatrick, Rebecca - Hush, Hush (GE=4.5)
Fredericks, Mariah - Head Games (GE=2.5)
Giff, Patricia Reilly - Wild Girl (GE=4.0) (and others by this author)
Gatekeepers series (various authors; varying reading levels)
Horvath, Polly - My One Hundred Adventures (GE=4.8)
Lockhart, E. - The Treasure Map of Boys
Mead, Richelle - Vampire Academy (GE=3.7)
Morgan, Clay - The Boy Who Spoke Dog (GE=3.5)
Nimmo, Jenny - Charlie Bone series
Prue, Sally - Playing With Fire (GE=3.5)
Shearer, Alex - Canned (GE=3.5)
Stiefvater, Maggie - Shiver (GE=4.5); Lament: The Faerie Queen’s Deception

Students with Reading Skills between 5th and 7th Grade:

The 39 Clues Series (various authors; various reading levels)
Black, Holly and Cecil Castellucci (eds.) - Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd
Collins, Suzanne - Catching Fire (GE=5.4) (and others by this author)
Dessen, Sarah - Along for the Ride (and others by this author)
Fleming, Candace - The Great and Only Barnum
Hoose, Phillip - Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice
Kelly, Jacqueline - The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
Lin, Grace - Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
Madigan, L.K. - Flash Burnout
Myers, Walter Dean - Riot (GE=5.3)
Partridge, Elizabeth - Marching for Freedom
Philbrick, Rodman - The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
Sonnenblick, Jordan - After Ever After (and others by this author)
Stead, Rebecca - When You Reach Me
Stone, Tanya Lee - Almost Astronauts
Williams-Garcia, Rita - Jumped
Yancey, Rick - Monstrumologist
Yep, Laurence - City of Fire

Students with Reading Levels 7 and Above:

B., David - Epileptic
Barnes, John - Tales of the Madman Underground
Bradley, Alan - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
Bray, Libba - Going Bovine
Draper, Sharon - Just Another Hero
Fisher, Catherine - Incarceron
Garcia, Kami and Margaret Stohl - Beautiful Creatures
Griffin, Paul - The Orange Houses
Heiligman, Deborah - Charles and Emma: The Darwins’ Leap of Faith
Hoffman, Beth - Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt
Jinks, Catherine - The Reformed Vampire Support Group
LaCour, Nina - Hold Still
Larsson, Stieg - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (and others in this series)
Lieb, Josh - I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your 
President

Ockler, Sarah - Twenty Boy Summer
Peters, Julie Anne - By the Time You Read This, I’ll Be Dead
Rapp, Adam - Punkzilla
Ryan, Carrie - The Forest of Hands and Teeth (and others in this series)
Taylor, Laini - Lips Touch: Three Times (GE=8.4)
Zarr, Sara - Once Was Lost; Story of a Girl

Additional Selections for Outstanding Readers: The Alex Awards:

The Alex Awards are given by the American Library Association to ten books
written for adults that have special appeal to young adults, ages 12 through
18. The winning titles are selected from the previous year's publishing.

Carriger, Gail - Soulless: An Alexia Tarabotti Novel
Currie, Ron, Jr. - Everything Matters
Finkel, David - The Good Soldiers
Grossman, Lev - The Magicians
Kamkwamba, William and Bryan Mealer - The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
Rock, Peter - My Abandonment
Rosoff, Meg - The Bride’s Farewell
Small, David - Stitches: A Memoir
Welch, Diana and Liz Welch et. al. - The Kids Are All Right: A Memoir
Wilson, Kevin - Tunneling to the Center of the Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment