Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Graveyard Book




Many of the books I was assigned to read in school were selections from the Newbery award winners. (The Newbery is awarded by the ALA to an author who has made a significant contribution to children’s literature. ) Each year I still continue to read the newest Newbery selections. Last spring, I read the Graveyard Book and found the prose simply delicious. Neil Gaiman’s style of writing each chapter as a short story is quite clever. The twists of murder and mayhem over boil throughout the text. I desired to have some of Bod’s abilities to dream walk or fade from mortal sight and float through his adventures with him. In terms of the ghost genre, I think the Graveyard Book might be one of my favorite reads since Harry Potter. Have you read any ghost-genre/fantasy books that compare to Harry Potter? Please post and share.

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting because I loved The Graveyard Book, and Jess hated it. Stephen loved it...Jamie hated it. In general, I am not a fantasy reader. It's hard for me to suspend my belief enough to buy into a fictitious world. In terms of a story compelling enough to convince me to buy into another world, I thought Twilight came pretty close. The Bartimaus Trilogy has potential as does Inkheart. I think Jess would say The Hunger Games, and I would agree. It's a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem with the Graveyard Book is the same problem I have with anything that is quintessentially "Tim Burton" and let's face it- this has a Burton movie written all over it. It is odd for the sake of being odd, but not naturally so. I hated the characters, the purpose of the story, everything! I think the writing is well-done, but the story itself was just too much for me! And I tend to really like fantasy! I even loved Abarat which was fantasy through and through! (Great book by the way). But I think Graveyard Book is one of those books where half the people love it and the other half hate it!

    ReplyDelete